Apply for a B-2 Visitor Visa
What is the B-2 visa?
The B-2 visa is a non-immigrant tourist visa. It is used by people who want to visit the United States for short periods of time for tourism.
This visa is typically valid for less than six months, but the length of stay can be extended in some circumstances. The B-2 visa does not allow for work while in the U.S.
Who needs to use the B-2 visa?
Tourists are the most common applicants for a B-2 visa, but in some cases students, medical tourists or people visiting relatives may want to use it.
People who belong to a country in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) do not need to apply for a B-2 visa as long as their stay is 90 days or less. However, if you want to stay longer or if you are from the majority of countries that are not part of the VWP, you will need to apply for a B-2 visa.
List of Visa Waiver Program (VWP) Countries
- Czech Republic
- New Zealand
- San Marino
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
What are the benefits of the B-2 visa?
- Travel anywhere in the United States after you enter
- Stay up to six months on first application
- Extend your visa with Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Visa
- Some countries allow for reentry forms of tourism visas, which would allow tourists to enter for up to six months at a time multiple times in several years.
What is included in this Application Guide?
This application guide will include
- Instructions on how to apply for a B-2 non-immigrant tourist visa
- Helpful tips for passing the visa interview
- List of Visa Waiver Program Countries
- Sample evidence letters
- A guide for proper visa photographs